DEPARTMENT OF INTERPRETATION AND TRANSLATION
PRE-TENURE-TRACK OR TENURE-TRACK FACULTY POSITION
SCHOOL OF EDUCATION, BUSINESS AND HUMAN SERVICES
POSITION CONTINGENT ON FUNDING
Gallaudet University serves deaf and hard of hearing students from many different backgrounds and seeks to develop a workforce that reflects the diversity of its student body. Gallaudet is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and actively encourages deaf and hard of hearing members of traditionally underrepresented groups (or people of color), people with disabilities (or special needs), women, and veterans to apply for open positions.
- An earned doctorate in a language-related field required. Qualified applicants nearing completion of a doctorate (ABD) will also be considered.*
- Excellence in teaching of signed language interpretation and/or translation, demonstrated via student feedback.
- Knowledge and skills in pedagogy and content relevant to interpreting education.
- An ability to lecture and conduct daily department business in ASL, at time of application.
- Evidence of scholarly activity and service in the field of signed language interpretation, translation and/ or signed language linguistics.
- Evidence of success in obtaining external research funding preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- R.I.D., AVLIC or ASLTA certifications or documented equivalent for international applicants.
- Evidence of involvement with Deaf community and professional organizations such as NAD, NAOBI, RID, CIT and ASLTA.
- ASLPI score of 4 or higher, or SLPI: ASL rating of Advanced Plus or higher, or ASLPI score of 3 or SLPI: ASL rating of Intermediate Plus for an international applicant from an non-ASL country.
*To be considered for tenure at Gallaudet University, a candidate must possess a terminal degree.
- Teach undergraduate and / or graduate courses.
- May serve on doctoral dissertation committees
- Supervise students; provide academic advising and professional mentoring.
- Engage in scholarly activities and research and program development in interpretation.
- Seek and obtain external funding for research in the field of interpretation.
- Participate in department and university faculty activities and professional service.
- Other duties as assigned by the chair.
Salary and Rank: Pre-Tenure-Track: Instructor
Tenure-Track: Assistant or Associate Professor. Rank and salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Starting date: Open until filled.
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin immediately.
Send a letter of application, curriculum vita, official graduate transcripts, and three letters of reference demonstrating quality of interpreting experience, teaching interpretation and/or American Sign Language, and scholarly activity to:
The Department of Interpretation Search Committee
Attention: Dr. Melanie Metzger
800 Florida Ave., NE
Washington, DC 20002-3695
202.651.5149 voice / videophone