Per Diem Interpreter – ASL
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow’s physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
- Responsible for assessing the needs of deaf and hard of hearing patients and providing assistance by interpretation of consent forms, diagnoses, discharge plans and any other type of patient-related information.
- Responsible for immediately and effectively answering requests for interpretation throughout the Institute, with a priority for emergency and more urgent requests. Responsible to arrive on time to the appointments and to provide services from the point of entry throughout discharge.
- Interprets and transmits accurately and in understandable terms, complex medical information from medical providers to patients, including interpretation of consent forms, diagnoses, during medical procedures, discharge plans and any other type of patient-related information. Interprets and transmits accurately and in understandable terms information from patients to medical providers.
- Assists patients and clinical providers throughout the hospital system in a professional and courteous manner. Provides the highest quality of service at each appointment to every patient and if necessary refers the patient to the appropriate resource.
- Seeks evaluation, certification and additional training in interpreting, health care practices and beliefs, and cultural differences.
- Maintains an environment that promotes collaborative work relationships and provides assistance to the Interpreter Services staff to perform office related tasks as needed.
- The Interpreter accepts and processes properly the assignments for his/her language. This task may include following office protocol, logging information properly, contacting patients and informing the Interpreter Services department of any changes in a timely manner.
- Maintains complete and accurate written records of services rendered and statistics of all patient related information.
- Resolves most issues that arise in their daily responsibilities, answer questions and makes appropriate referrals. More complex issues will be handled by the Manager of Interpreter Services.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a concentration in a human relations field (i.e. Sociology, Psychology) highly preferable or equivalent life experience.
- Must be a Certified Sign Language Interpreter.
- Must have knowledge of medical terminology, basic anatomy, physiology and diagnostic procedures and treatments.
- Must be fluent, both verbal and written, in English and another language.
- Strong ability to concentrate, detail oriented and possess culturally sensitive care and underlying issue regarding their patient, as well as transmit all information as accurately as possible.
- Strong interpersonal skills in situations that are very difficult and demanding.
- Must have excellent organizational skills in order to evaluate relative needs and set priorities, problem-solving skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to follow directions with minimal supervision.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.
Apply here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/5zkjqcb4s3bd2rd6