Tenure Track Faculty
Job Title: Tenure Track Faculty (Department of Interpretation) Job ID: 16087
Department: Department of Interpretation Full/Part Time: Full-Time
DEPARTMENT OF INTERPRETATION
TENURE-TRACK FACULTY POSITION
SCHOOL OF EDUCATION, BUSINESS, AND HUMAN SERVICES
POSITION CONTINGENT ON FUNDING
Gallaudet University serves deaf and hard of hearing students from many different backgrounds and seeks to develop a workforce that reflects the diversity of its student body. Gallaudet is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and actively encourages deaf, hard of hearing members of traditionally underrepresented groups, people with disabilities, women, and veterans to apply for open positions.
- Required completion of a doctorate in a language-related field (e.g., Interpreting, Linguistics) or a terminal degree in a related specialization (e.g., Law, Anthropology, Sociology, Education, Psychology).
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching American Sign Language/English interpreting and translation.
- Knowledge and skills in pedagogy and content relevant to interpreting and translation education.
- Excellent American Sign Language (ASL) skills, including the ability to lecture and conduct daily department business in ASL, at the time of application. An ASLPI score of 4 and/or SLPI: ASL rating of Advanced Plus is required. For applicants who use a signed language other than American Sign Language, an ASLPI score of 3, a SLPI rating of Intermediate Plus, or approval from an internal departmental language evaluation is required.
- Evidence of scholarly activity and service in the field of sign language interpretation and translation, or sign language pedagogy or linguistics.
- Experience serving on dissertation committees preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- RID, AVLIC or ASLTA certification or documented equivalent for international applicants is required.
- Teach undergraduate and/or graduate courses.
- Supervise students; provide academic advising and professional mentoring.
- Engage in scholarly activities and research and program development in interpretation.
- Participate in department and university faculty activities and professional service.
- Other duties as assigned by the chair.
Assistant Professor or higher. Rank and salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Review of applications will begin immediately.
Send a letter of application, curriculum vita, official graduate transcripts, and three letters of reference demonstrating quality of interpreting experience, teaching interpretation, and/or American Sign Language, and scholarly activity to:
The Department of Interpretation Search Committee
800 Florida Ave., NE
Washington, DC 20002-3695
202-250-2911 – videophone