Proposed Start Date
The Department of World Languages and Cultures at Iowa State University invites applications for a part-time Lecturer in American Sign Language (ASL) who will develop and teach courses in the area of American Sign Language and Deaf Culture. The individual selected for this position will develop and teach courses related to Deaf Culture and communication. The successful candidate will be a motivated instructor with a background in Deaf Culture, Deaf Studies, ASL linguistics, and program development.
The Department of World Languages and Cultures (www.language.iastate.edu) is the central resource at Iowa State University for the teaching, research, and study of cultures in and through their native languages from a global perspective. Iowa State University (www.iastate.edu) is an AAU-member, land grant, Carnegie Doctoral/Research Extensive University with an enrollment of over 33,000 students. The university is located in Ames, Iowa, one of the nation’s most highly rated metropolitan areas of its size (http://www.iastate.edu/about/ames.php).
- Master’s degree in related discipline
- Experience teaching sign language, interpreting, Deaf Culture, Deaf Studies or related courses at a post-secondary institution.
- Experience working with students with diverse backgrounds/challenges to learning
- Experience developing curricula in Deaf Culture and ASL
- Possession of ASLTA certification
Commensurate with qualifications
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply for this Vacancy” and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Contact information for two references
- Representative teaching evaluations – Attach as “Other Document(s)”
- Brief statement describing teaching accomplishments including a description of the candidate’s teaching philosophy – Attach as “Other Document(s)”
If you have questions regarding this vacancy, please email Claudia Lemon at email@example.com or call 515-294-9396.
If you have questions regarding this application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
To ensure consideration, submit application by 06-25-2014
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Director of Equal Opportunity, 3350 Beardshear Hall, (515) 294-7612, email email@example.com.