Mt. San Antonio College
Position Title: Professor, Sign Language (American)
Salary: Initial placement, $65,837 – $98,256 annually. This is a full-time, tenure-track, 10-month contract position that begins in the 2018-19 academic year. Placement on the salary schedule is based on formal education, full-time and/or part-time teaching, and related work experience, up to a maximum placement at step 9.
Initial Screening Date: February 28, 2018
Health & Welfare:
Employees working less than fifty (50%) percent are not eligible for health and welfare benefits.
The District participates in the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS), State Teachers’ Retirement System (STRS) retirement programs, and Metlife Social Security Alternative Plan.
• Teach all courses within the Interpreting Program, teach all levels of American Sign Language 1-5
• Teach assigned courses in accordance with assigned course outline of record
• Promote and support students training to be Sign Language Interpreters and the Sign Language Interpreting profession
• Develop partnerships with interpreting internship/mentorship programs and assist Interpreting students with finding initial placement in work related internships/mentorships
• Conduct articulation assessments for in-coming High School students and assist in the advanced placement of ASL students
• Participate in curriculum development and review, program advisory board, learning outcome development and assessments, grants relevant to program, serve on College committees as necessary to maintain and improve the instructional program, and participate in appropriate professional development activities
• Perform related duties as assigned, including timely compliance with clerical and administrative responsibilities and College, division, and department policies
• Collaborate effectively with other faculty, staff, and administrators to plan, develop, and execute related programs
• Instruct and assist in the growth and success of a diverse population of students through careful preparation of course materials, effective teaching methods including online courses, and informed critical feedback on assignments and discussions
• Promote a Deaf/ASL friendly campus environment
• Maintain scheduled office and campus hours, and participate in department/division meetings and committees
• Late afternoon and/or evening assignments may be required as part of the regular contract
The minimum of one of the following awarded/conferred from a regionally accredited institution:
1. Any Bachelor’s degree AND a minimum of two full-time years of related work experience (provide evidence of experience in both disciplines); OR
2. Any Associate degree AND a minimum of six full-time years of related work experience (provide evidence of experience in both disciplines); OR
3. The equivalent (must attach an Equivalency Determination Supplemental Form) OR
4. California Community College credential, “Valid for Life” (no longer issued), authorizing service as an instructor in the appropriate discipline; refer to Ed. Code § 87355 (If meeting qualifications with this credential, a copy of the valid lifetime credential AND transcripts must be submitted with the application.)
B. Commitment to the community college goals/objectives of providing quality programs and services for students with diverse abilities and interests; personal qualities to work effectively and sensitively in a multicultural environment; awareness and commitment to the special needs of non-traditional students.
C. Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written English.
• Master’s degree in Interpreting Studies/Pedagogy, Sign Language Education, Deaf Studies, or a related field
• National certification recognized by Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (i.e. NIC, CI, CT, CSC, NAD III-V, CDI)
• Native or near-native fluency in American Sign Language
• Experience teaching Sign Language/English Interpreting, ASL, and/or ASL-English Translation courses
• Extensive Deaf-World experience
• Experience working with students training to be Sign Language Interpreters
• Commitment to the advancement of the Sign Language Interpreting profession
Apply online at: http://apptrkr.com/1166084
Human Resources at 1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Human Resources: (909) 274-4225. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.