The University of New Mexico
Department of Linguistics
Lecturer II: American Sign Language (ASL)
The University of New Mexico Department of Linguistics seeks applications for a full-time Lecturer II position in the Signed Language Interpreting Program to begin August 2016. Responsibilities will include teaching undergraduate courses in American Sign Language (ASL) and/or signed language interpreting, and service.
The CCIE accredited Bachelor of Science degree in Signed Language Interpreting has been meeting the needs of the deaf citizens of New Mexico, the region, and indeed the country since 1983, having trained and graduated more than 300 professional interpreters in that period. The program is a part of the Department of Linguistics. The Department of Linguistics specializes in cognitive-functional approaches to the study of language, including corpus and empirically-based studies, cross-linguistic research, and typology. In addition to the linguistic study of signed languages, we have special strength in Native American linguistics and language revitalization, and Spanish linguistics.
- Master’s Degree in Interpreting, Teaching ASL, or related field in hand at time of appointment.
- Evidence of teaching experience in Interpreting, ASL, or related studies in a university or college environment
- Native or near-native ASL competence
- Bicultural; ability to interact comfortably in Deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing communities Bicultural; ability to interact comfortably in Deaf, hard of hearing and hearing communities.
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
- Ability to work effectively with students and colleagues.
- RID and/or ASLTA certification.
- Experience teaching in an interpreter training program.
UNM provides a diversified package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. For a more complete explanation of the benefits, please go to http://hr.unm.edu/ and click on the Benefits link.
Date for best consideration: February 15, 2016
Closing Date: Open until filled
Enquiries about this position can be addressed to:
Yvonne Martinez-Ingram, email@example.com or (505) 277-6353.
For details on application requirements or to apply, visit the UNMJobs website: https://unmjobs.unm.edu/ Please reference Posting Number 0833088.
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.