University of Louisville
Instructor Term and Director of the ASL Program
A three-year, renewable based on the needs of the program, term instructor appointment beginning August 1, 2020.
The Department of Classical & Modern Languages’ American Sign Language Interpreting Studies program at the University of Louisville invites applicants for Term Instructor appointment. As part of the College of Arts and Sciences, the Department offers a Bachelor of Science in American Sign Language Interpreting Studies. The candidate will serve as a Term Instructor and the Director of the American Sign Language program.
We seek applicants prepared to teach face-to-face undergraduate courses who are committed to teaching excellence, program and curriculum development, leadership, and collaboration with faculty, staff and community partners. Active engagement with the Deaf community is expected.
- M.A. in American Sign Language, Teaching ASL, ASL Linguistics, or another closely related field
- Native or near-native proficiency in ASL and written English
- Knowledge and skills in pedagogy and content related to ASL course progression and instruction.
- Certification from ASLTA or other acceptable certifying body (e.g., RID, NIC, CDI, CI/CT, AVLIC, etc.) or commitment to pursue ASLTA certification
- A minimum of two years of successful experience teaching American Sign Language classes at the college level is desirable. Evidence of online instruction or use of technology to provide instruction.
- Experience working collaboratively with the Deaf community
Candidate must be able to teach a combination of courses such as:
- ASL courses at all levels
- Other ASL/ITP courses as needed
Candidate must be able to demonstrate leadership through administrative tasks such as:
- Coordinate beginning, intermediate, and advanced ASL courses
- Supervise ASL instructors and ASL lab workers
- Oversee development of ASL course and assessment materials
- Promote the language program on campus and to prospective students
- Assess students with regard to the placement at the appropriate level of ASL courses
- Other duties as assigned
Applicants must apply on-line at www.louisville.edu/jobs and attach one document containing:
- A cover letter indicating interest and how the applicant meets the minimum qualifications of the position
- A curriculum vitae
- The names and complete contact information of three references (including two who can speak to the applicant’s success as a teacher)
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Sample syllabus for an ASL or other related course
- Evidence of teaching excellence (e.g. student or workshop evaluations)
- A scanned copy of the applicant’s graduate transcript
Review of applications will begin October 1, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Louisville is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, sex, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, creed, religion, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, pregnancy, or veteran status. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please contact the Employment team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 502.852.6258.
To apply for this position, follow the “Online App. Form” link below and then click on the “Apply Now”. You must answer all required fields and submit your application by clicking the “Submit” button. Detailed instructions are available at louisville.edu/jobs in the “My Career Tools” section. Vacancies are routinely removed from the jobs portal around 7:00PM on the deadline date. If the posting description requested that you follow up and mail or email other documents, your application will not be considered complete until those have been received by the department.
Only ONE attachment can be uploaded per application. If you wish to include a cover letter or other documents, please combine them as one document with your resume/cv, save the document with a simple short title that contains only letters, spaces, or numbers, and then upload.
EFFECTIVE 08/01/2018, the option to use an existing resume will no be longer available. On or after this date, please use the option to “Upload a new resume” to attach your CV or resume document.
Computers are available for application submission at the Human Resources Department located at 1980 Arthur Street – Louisville, Kentucky 40208. If you have any questions or problems please contact, Center for Faculty Personnel – FACPERS@louisville.edu or by phone 502-852-5301
If you require assistance or accommodation with our online application process, you may schedule an appointment at (502) 852-6258 with Employment Services at the Human Resources office located at 1980 Arthur Street, Louisville, KY 40208.